Nevada State Capitol
The Capitol Building was built in 1871 out of sandstone quarried by inmates at the Nevada State Prison. It originally housed the Governor’s Office, State Supreme Court, and State Senate and Legislature chambers. These offices soon started to outgrow the available space, so in 1915 two new wings were constructed at either end of the building. In 1937 the Supreme Court moved out into its own building, and the legislative branches did the same in 1971.
Today the governor still has an office here, and the building is open to the public with historical exhibits.