The Stewart-Nye House is a historic home in Carson City. It is located at 108 N. Minnesota Street, at the northwest corner of King and Minnesota Streets. It was built in 1860.
The Stewart-Nye house is considered to be the oldest surviving house in Carson City. It was originally built in 1860 for William Stewart, a prominent lawyer who later became the first US Senator from Nevada. He in turn sold it to James Nye, who was governor of Nevada Territory before it became a state. After a couple more owners, the house passed to the Catholic Church, who used it as a rectory for St Teresa’s Church right across the street. The church held the house for 85 years, until the church was deconsecrated in 2003. The house was then sold it to lawyers King and Taggart. King later left the practice, and now the house is the law offices of Paul and Sonia Taggart.
Historical Marker 175 deals with the history of the house.
- Nevada Appeal, August 10, 2008: Oldest building in Carson dates back nearly 150 years
- Historic American Buildings Survey
- Kit Carson Trail - Part 2
- Kit Carson Talking Houses
- Around Carson: 2005 Ghost Walk