Historical Marker 76
This is Nevada State Historical Marker #76, one of 266 markers scattered around the state.
This marker is located in near Ross Gold Park, in south Carson City.
Centrally located between the first Nevada settlement at Genoa and the precious metal deposits of the Comstock Lode, Eagle Valley, site of present Carson City, was a vital link in land communications.
One of the key California emigrant routes, the Carson Branch of the California Emigrant Trail, crossing the Sierra Nevada at Kit Carson Pass, came through Eagle Valley roughly along Silver Sage Drive, a block east of this point.
The first Overland telegraph, colloquially known as "Bee's Grapevine," from F.A. Bee, its builder, was completed from Placerville to Carson City in 1859. In this area, it followed what is now U.S. Highway 395. The Pony Express (1860-1861) and the Butterfield-Wells Fargo Overland stages (1862-1868) followed the same route.