Historical Marker 258
This is Nevada State Historical Marker #258, one of 266 markers scattered around the state.
This marker is located in Carson City, in the park at Stewart and Musser Streets, across from the Nevada State Library and Archives.
CHARLES W. FRIEND HOUSE, OBSERVATORY, AND WEATHER STATION
This is the site of the house and observatory of Nevada's first weatherman, astronomer, and seismologist, Charles W. Friend. Born in Prussia in 1835, Friend immigrated by way of South America to California during the 1849 Gold Rush. In 1867, he moved from Folsom to Carson City where he set up his own jewelry and optical store.
Friend built Nevada's first observatory located northwest of his house and east of the Nevada State Capitol. Nevada's U.S. Senator William Stewart helped him obtain the use of a six-inch equatorial mount telescope and other instruments from the federal government.
Charles Friend also established Nevada's first weather service. In 1887, the Nevada Legislature passed authorization for a weather service station in Carson City. Friend became its director and created volunteer weather stations throughout the state. He complied the data into reports that are still referenced today.
Charles W. Friend died in 1907. Since his death, the Association of Weather Services has recognized him as a pioneer in weather service west of the Rockies.