Historical Marker 196
This is Nevada State Historical Marker #196, one of 266 markers scattered around the state.
THE UNITED STATES MINT AT CARSON CITY, NEVADA
The original Carson City building is a formal balanced, sandstone block edifice, two stories high with a centrally located cupola. The sandstone blocks were quarried at the Nevada State Prison.
On March 3, 1862, Congress passed a bill establishing a branch mint in the territory of Nevada.
The output of the Comstock Lode coupled with the high bullion transportation costs to San Francisco proved the necessity of a branch in Nevada.
From its opening in 1870 to the closing of the coin operations in 1893, coinage amounted to $49,274,434.30.