Historical Marker 193
This is Nevada State Historical Marker #193, one of 266 markers scattered around the state.
This marker is located in Carson City, right next to the Office Depot near Carson and Stewart Streets. The marker faces a grassy spot that used to be an automobile rest area.
HISTORIC FLUME AND LUMBERYARD
Approximately one-half mile south of this point and west of the present highway lay the immense lumberyard of the Carson-Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company, the greatest of the Comstock lumbering combines operating in the Lake Tahoe Basin during 1870-1898.
Situated at the terminus of the 12-mile "V" flume from Spooner Summit in the Sierra Nevada, the lumberyard was approximately one mile long and one-half mile wide. A spur line of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad served the lumberyard. The spur ran adjacent to this site and carried rough lumber to the company's planing mill and box factory, one-half mile north on Stewart Street. It also carried timbers and cordwood to the Carson Yards to be hauled to the Comstock mines and mills.