Historical Marker 180
This is Nevada State Historical Marker #180, one of 266 markers scattered around the state.
THE WARM SPRINGS HOTEL
Built about 1860, the Warm Springs Hotel was used by Nevada's First Territorial Legislature as a meeting place in 1861. The structure was built from hand-hewn sandstone taken from a nearby quarry. An imposing edifice in its day, the building typified the enterprise of the owner, Abe Curry. He and his business partners surveyed the site of Carson City, were farsighted enough to leave space for a state capitol building while the area was a part of Utah, and attracted incoming merchants to their tiny community.
In 1862, the hotel was leased by Nevada Territory and used for holding prisoners. Two years later, the property was purchased and became the State Prison. During 1867, the hotel was destroyed by fire. Present prison facilities occupy the ground where the hotel was situated.