Historical Marker 122
This is Nevada State Historical Marker #122, one of 266 markers scattered around the state.
This marker is located in the Carson Valley, along State Route 206 (Foothill Road) at the site of Sheridan. The sign is at the intersection of Canyon Creek Ct.
In 1861, a blacksmith shop, a store, a boarding house, and two saloons comprised the village of Sheridan which had grown up around the general store of Moses Job established prior to 1855. This enterprising merchant named the peak, in the shadow of which the town stood, after himself having planted an American flag on the top. The Sheridan House was here built before 1875. The Surveyor General, in his 1889-90 biennial report, stated that Sheridan was the metropolis of the Carson River West Fork farmers.
The Sheridan House, since converted to a dwelling, stands across the road just east of this marker. It is all that remains of the "metropolis."