Historical Marker 114

From Carsonpedia

This is Nevada State Historical Marker #114, one of 266 markers scattered around the state.

This marker is located in the Washoe Valley, along Old Hwy 395 near the site of Franktown.

Text

Franktown

Franktown was established by Orson Hyde, probate judge of Carson County, Utah Territory, in the Wassau Valley (Washoe Valley) in 1855.

A sawmill was built and became an important enterprise in furnishing timber to the Comstock mines. The Dall Mill, a quartz mill of 60 stamps, employed hundreds of workmen.

Fertile farms surrounded the town.

With the completion of the railroad from Carson City to Virginia City in 1869, the milling business rapidly lost its importance and the once prosperous town declined.

External Links