The Ferris Mansion is a historic home in Carson City. it is located at the southeast corner of Third and Division streets, on Carson City's west side. The address is 311 West Third Street. It was built in 1863 by Gregory A. Sears, but historically is most known as the home, from 1868 to 1881, of George Washington Gale Ferris, Sr. and his son, George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr., the inventor of the Ferris Wheel.
The home was built on the corner of Third and Division streets in 1863 by Gregory A. Sears. Sears was an early subdivider of Carson City. In 1868 he sold the house to George Washington Gale Ferris, Sr., a rancher and horticulturalist who was recently living in the Carson Valley. Ferris started a landscaping business, and planted many trees around Carson City, including several on the barren grounds of the new State Capitol.
In 1875 George's son, George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr., left home to go to military academy. He later attended engineering school and gained prominence as the inventor of the Ferris Wheel at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.
George Sr. and his wife Martha moved to Riverside, California, leaving their daughter Mary living in the house. They officially sold the house to her in 1890. In the 20th century it passed to several other owners, including the Mahers in 1922, Thurman Cross in 1956, Ferdinand Hirzy in April 1968, and Mr and Mrs Charles Herron in July 1968.
The house is currently used as office space.
- Three Historic Nevada Cities: Sears--Ferris House
- The Man Who Invented the Wheel, and Paid the Price
- Historic American Buildings Survey: G. W. G. Ferris House